FGA's partners at the Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services has contracted with a local organization to help fund projects that support healthy food initiatives in Florida. Florida Community Loan Fund is a statewide community development financial institution with more than 20 years of experience providing capital and expertise to help projects succeed in low-income communities and are the contracted entity administering the funding for the Healthy Food Financing Initiative. FCLF financing can offer highly flexible loan terms for a broad range of projects that create high social impact. Their lending generally supports:
- Economic Development: Food Access, Technology Hubs, Business Incubators, Catalytic Redevelopment Projects
- Community Facilities: Homeless & Special Needs, Community Healthcare, Charter Schools and other Education & Youth
- Housing: Affordable, Supportive, Single & Multifamily, New & Preservation
To help address health concerns in Florida, Florida Community Loan Fund has developed a Food Access Financing Program to provide flexible financing for projects that provide greater access to fresh, healthy foods in low-income, underserved, food insecure communities. This financing is used to address food insecurity predominantly in USDA designated food deserts. To see if your project is located in a food desert, click here.
FCLF’s Food Access Financing Program has the capacity to use a variety of federal and state sources of capital, including New Markets Tax Credits, to fund projects that qualify for healthy food financing guidelines. Examples of FCLF-financed food access projects include:
- Fresh Ministries, providing aquaponics and job training in Jacksonville
- Hitchcock’s Market, a full service grocery store in a rural Florida community
- Treasure Coast Food Bank, processing local farm produce for use in local schools and food banks
- Evans Center, which will house both a fresh foods market and a healthcare facility in a single building in low-income area of Brevard County (loan under commitment; not yet finalized)
To learn more about FCLF Food Access Financing, click here.
Click here to access a fact sheet on FCLF Food Access Financing.
Click here to access a fact sheet on the State of Florida Healthy Food Financing Initiative (FL-HFFI), which may be able to offer enhanced financing that could fit your project.
Click here to access information on FCLF’s New Markets Tax Credit Program and click here for a fact sheet overview of FCLF NMTC projects.
CLICK HERE FOR FLIER